Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sick Baby

As some of you know, Macey was a very sick little girl.

It came on so fast!

Daddy was sick about a week and half ago, then shared with Mommy, whom shared with Josh, and then little Macey.  

Except by the time it got to Macey, it was B-A-D!

I had told Chad (insert wagging finger) that she was coming down with something.  Except, I just thought it was what we all had.....a cold with a cough.  

Hers turned worse.

She woke up after nap on Thursday and was snotty and just plain didn't sound good and you could tell she didn't feel good.

I immediately made a doctor's appointment for the next morning.  (Josh and I had just been to the doctor on Monday.)

By the next morning, she sounded like she had swallowed a duck.  Or made out with Donald Duck, not sure which.

I took her, like I always do, to drive Josh to the big city to go to preschool.  Then she and I killed time until her appointment.  We ran quickly to Lowe's to pick up something for Daddy.  (I literally had a print out and a picture in my hand of what I was sent for.  That's the only way I'll go into a home improvment store.)

By the time we had finished at Lowe's, she was worse.  It seemed as though she was having trouble breathing and she was breathing faster.  

Since our doctor ROCKS, I just went ahead and went 30 minutes early to our appointment.  Lucky for us, he was able to fit us right in.  God thing #1.

He diagnosed her with croup, gave us antibiotics and steroids.  While he was sitting there figuring up the dosages, he continued to hear Macey breathe and decided that a breathing treatment wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, not her but Mommy!  

I had small tears in my eyes and my baby was sick and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.  Then I'm supposed to hold this 'smoke' (or what it seemed to Macey to be) with a mask over her to make her breath better.

The doctor was WAY impreseed with the results of her breath sounds afterwards.  

He asked if we had a nebulier at home (breathing machine.)  I said no, BUT MY SISTER-IN-LAW does!

My sister-in-law is awesome and of course let us borrow.  (Thank goodness my brain was working fast.  God thing #2.)

So he prescribed another thing for the liquid to put in the breathing treatment.

Leaving the doctor with a sick, limp baby and 3 prescriptions, but the cough medicine I can give her that i have at home if I need to.

Boo.

Ran to the pharmacy, saw Mimi, and barely made it home.  

I mean seriously folks!  She was so bad breathing, I wasn't sure I'd make it!  

I was speeding to make it just to get to Chad.  I was going over my spheel I'd give the officer who pulled me over.  God thing #3.

We made it home and Chad was not happy that doctor let her leave the office sounding and breathing like she was.  

I explained that she wasn't this bad at the office. 

We weren't home much more than an hour until we decided to leave to go to the ER.

Josh was with us and was such a big help.  He was a little scared, but then Nana Janet came to take him home. 

After a 3 hour trip to the ER, this is Macey after she was better.







































She's sitting on her own, clapping, smiling, speaking, just all around better.

(None of the above she would have done before.)

It was scary, but I'm glad I had a partner to go thru it with.  There are many things that I do (some on a daily basis) that I wouldn't want to do alone.

Macey was touch and go that night (late) and the next day (Saturday), but seems to be better today.  Still has a nasty cough and not much energy at times, she even took a morning nap!  (Something she hasn't done in about a year or so!)

The only bad thing we've been dealing with is 'Roid Rage.'  The steroids are making her throw fits that a king would be proud of!  

Rough on everyone, but we've made it.  The worst seems to be behind us.

I'm never sure if things like this are harder on the parents or the kids.

My vote is for the parents!

1 comment:

  1. She is lucky to have the parents she does! I'm SO glad she's better!!!

    ReplyDelete