Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oh Boy

Boys are so much different than girls.  Josh and I were outside on Saturday weeding the flower garden.  The neighbors were also out.  They have two little girls - one who is almost 5 and another who is almost 2.  The girls were playing nicely while their Mommy was painting the trim on their house.  They were playing dolls, playing house, just playing nicely.  I turn around and Josh is dumping out all the gardening tools, has the broom out, and is getting into Daddy's toolbox....with the sharp heavy implements!

So....I bring out the washable chalk I had been saving for a rainy day.  (Truth be told, I was waiting for a 'cool' day.)  He loves it!  It's something new....and best of all.....it's messy!  That chalk is all over the front of his outfit as he stands there holding all five giant chalks watching the "good girls" next door play pretend.  He's just mesmerized by them. 

Then, I look back and....he's coloring a bright green caterpillar with his red chalk!  Aggghhh!!!   He's literally pushing the poor thing along with the chalk.  So now the caterpillar has a green front half and a red back half.  I rescue the caterpillar and put it on the tree.  I'll bet he never makes the mistake of coming to the Duerksen house again!

But all I could think about while this was going on was how wonderful my life is.  I'm outside playing with my ornery boy.  No worries other than how to make sure I pull the weeds and not the flowers by mistake.  Just me, my boy, and flowers.  It was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment